Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
I wear nice clothes twice or three times over before washing them. I even have a system where i hang my shirts on the hanger a certain way to indicate how many times I've worn it since the last time it was washed. .
You piqued my curiosity on this one. Care to share your methods?

--

I can credit my 9th grade global studies teacher with teaching me to close the faucet between rinses, while brushing my teeth. Been doing it ever since. Can't remember how we started talking about dental hygiene, but it has saved us plenty of water.

I'm big on closing lights when not in use, and find myself constantly closing lights that were left on by accident.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I wear clothes 2-3 times as well. I just hang the used ones on the other side of the empty hangers in the closet. Left side = clean, empty hangers in the middle, used clothes on the right. I look on the used side first for what to wear and if I don't find what I want, then I look to the clean side.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I believe in common sense. I love eating out, so I do it as much as possible. I love using electricity, so I do it. I see no reason to limit myself using a totally infinite resource.
This is just a total joke. The premise itself is flat out wrong. The earth is not finite, not even close. The things we rely on for life are going to be around for billions of years. Foolish people have been claiming we are growing too much for centuries, yet we are still here and doing better than ever. The only thing that will limit us is thinking like this.
You outlook is common, but there are some problems with it.
More than anything, being wasteful doesn't actually increase your quality of life nearly as much as you think it does. In fact, it likely dimensions it. Forget environmentalism, by looking at just gratifying your immediate desires, you are setting your own self back.
That's too big to get into, but read Mr Money Mustache and you will see what I mean.

Now back to environmentalism. You may be too young to remember things like lead paint or asbestos or CFCs, may never have heard of the Cuyahoga River or London Smog Disaster, but regardless of your personal ignorance, environmental destruction is not just some liberal conspiracy.

And finally: the Earth is not finite? You obviously do not know what the word "finite" actually means. You are saying you believe the Earth is infinite. So, in other words, it is not actually a sphere in space, (and all space travel was faked), because the Earth goes on in every direction forever - is that what you are saying? Because there are only two possible choices: finite, and infinite.
There is a certain amount of land on the planet, and a certain amount of minerals and soil on the land. There is a certain amount oil and coal and uranium, and a certain amount of the gallium arsenide, copper indium diselenide, and cadmium sulfide that are used to make solar panels.
Human technology has not been around for billions of years. Life has been around for about 4 billion years, but multi-cellular life only about a quarter of that. Animals for 500 million. Mammals for 200 million. Human-ish hominids for 200,000. Homo-sapiens about 12,000. And modern technology? About 200 years.
That's about as far as possible from your implication that we have been using resources at the same rate for "billions of years".
Your absolute confidence that we could never run out of resources is based on the last 0.000005% of history.

You can be as wasteful and selfish as you want, but you should not talk with confidence on subjects you are clearly ignorant of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?

Last edited by JacobAziza; 05-09-2012 at 06:43 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JacobAziza For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (05-09-2012), jamesqf (05-09-2012), NeilBlanchard (05-18-2012), Piwoslaw (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
I can credit my 9th grade global studies teacher with teaching me to close the faucet between rinses, while brushing my teeth.
I admit to a certain puzzlement here: it's good that you learned (and you've proved that you CAN learn, unlike some people), but I don't understand why you'd have to. I mean, isn't that just the normal way a person would do things?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
You'd be surprised james. Shocked, actually. And appalled too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
JacobAziza (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I love eating out, so I do it as much as possible. I love using electricity, so I do it.
Why? I can't see it myself. Eating out means spending lots of time driving to a restaurant, reading menus, waiting for the waitron to take your order & bring food, etc. Now if it's a social occasion, sure, but just for a meal alone? Far easier to cook.

Likewise with electricity, why do you love using it? Does it give you a thrill? Me, I like some of the things that are achieved via electricity, but just using it doesn't improve my quality of life at all. And I do like the way the pennies I save mount up. I live as comfortably as my neighbors, if not more so, but have a power bill that runs at least $50/month less. That's money I can spend on things that give me more enjoyment.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I think it pees on electric fences for thrills.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Why? I can't see it myself.
Neither you nor your buddies (check out the backslapping 'thanks' of the usual regulars that are the 'amen chorus' in this thread) can see it. They think it's cool to deride it.

The guy likes to eat out. So what? There could be many reasons for his wanting to do so. He need not explain himself to you for doing so. Is he doing any harm to anyone by it? What are you putting him on the defensive for?

If the administration of this list is going to allow goading, jeering and provocation, I will insist that they permit a civil response to it.

Quote:
Eating out means spending lots of time driving to a restaurant, reading menus, waiting for the waitron to take your order & bring food, etc. Now if it's a social occasion, sure, but just for a meal alone? Far easier to cook.
Who are you to dictate to anyone what they should enjoy in life? You mention the "waitron"? I grew up in a world where there were waiters and waitresses. In the real world, they still are that. But then, I'm not into political correctness jargon, nor the politics of the guilt mongering of the leftist nanny state.
Quote:
Likewise with electricity, why do you love using it? Does it give you a thrill? Me, I like some of the things that are achieved via electricity, but just using it doesn't improve my quality of life at all.
Try living without electric power for a while, then you will appreciate your quality of life issue. Will that "give you a thrill"? He said he enjoys "use", and he isn't advocating abuse or waste.

Quote:
And I do like the way the pennies I save mount up. I live as comfortably as my neighbors, if not more so, but have a power bill that runs at least $50/month less. That's money I can spend on things that give me more enjoyment.
Good for you. Everyone is entitled to enjoyment of life without browbeating others or dictating to them how to live as they prefer. But if you were truly liberal, an advocate of freedom, rather than a politically correct, so called Liberal, you would live and let live.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I think it pees on electric fences for thrills.
Everything we need to know about Frank is summed up in this one sophomoric comment.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Be that as it may, Frank has been Frank for as long as this board has been around, and he has contributed plenty of actual content within his sarcastic one liners. Plus he's just so damn entertaining!

As to your comments on Jamessqf's comments... well, you may have some valid points, but your basic premise of live and let live - when you knowingly waste resources on a finite planet, that actually affects everyone. The sort of attitude that Why? displayed is literally damaging the lives of real people, and is likely to do much worse in the future. He literally said that the earths resources are infinite, and therefor there is no reason not to waste then.
Like I said before, environmentalism is not just some conspiracy made up by "liberals".

You seem to find it offensive that people are saying mean things to Why?, but remember that his only contribution to this thread was to tell us all that we lack "common sense" unlike himself. In fact, it appears that he may have signed up for the forum for the sole purpose of insulting "lefties".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Reply  Post New Thread