View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #103 (permalink)
ebacherville
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
Well here are some updated photos of the hood lift detail.. its just rough foam yet but shows how the hood lifts and also a photo of the front air intake for cooling.

in this photo youcan see that the hood extension sinks into the wings when opened.. these foam wings need to be fiberglassed to stiffen them and seal the air gaps up a bit.. but you get the idea..

It was raining all day today and the trip home was windy and raining however i did get soem good air flow info from the hood raise, there air sucked in the nose opening is flowing under the hood and exiting in the raised hood by the windsheild.. and also under 40 mph rain slided down all but the top 4" of the wind sheild.. at 50mph it just sits there .. above 55 the rain starts to slowly creep up the windsheild.. interestingly rain leaving the hood lip flys across the gap and hits the windshield at hiway speeds and creeps up the windshield proving that i have positive air flow from under the hood up the windshield.. not a high pressure area like most cars.. and putting that air back into the air stream.. eventually eliminating that much frontal area of the car. At least that my theroy, but I'm no scientist.. just a experimenter

Todays weather hampered any work on the car and probably killed my millage with the head winds and the rain covered roads.. and I put on 100+ miles today.. but still I have 250+ miles on it and about 3/4 of a tank left.. last time I filled it was 1/2 empty tank was $17 at $4 a gallon.. and this was premodded milage by me driving it home in stock condition.. and it had 250 miles on the 1/2 tank of fuel.. so it's looking decent for MPG