Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Matt, you are contradicting Hucho.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #102 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
i guess aerodynamically I'm going for this idea as much as I can... seperate the air and lay it back down as close to possible where I got it from.. Most cars are designed for practicality and looks.. My car isn't going to be pretty and ain't going to be too practical.. the only reason for its place in my fleet is to get me from point a to point b on the least amount of fuel.. However the nose its self clears curbs just fine.. and the rear will be no lower than that.. So I'm not to concerned.. I have not yet ran into any driving conditions that caused any isses.. realize this car is so small that the nose looks large porportionatly but its less than 1.5 feet in length from the stock bumper..

Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #103 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Well here are some updated photos of the hood lift detail.. its just rough foam yet but shows how the hood lifts and also a photo of the front air intake for cooling.

in this photo youcan see that the hood extension sinks into the wings when opened.. these foam wings need to be fiberglassed to stiffen them and seal the air gaps up a bit.. but you get the idea..

It was raining all day today and the trip home was windy and raining however i did get soem good air flow info from the hood raise, there air sucked in the nose opening is flowing under the hood and exiting in the raised hood by the windsheild.. and also under 40 mph rain slided down all but the top 4" of the wind sheild.. at 50mph it just sits there .. above 55 the rain starts to slowly creep up the windsheild.. interestingly rain leaving the hood lip flys across the gap and hits the windshield at hiway speeds and creeps up the windshield proving that i have positive air flow from under the hood up the windshield.. not a high pressure area like most cars.. and putting that air back into the air stream.. eventually eliminating that much frontal area of the car. At least that my theroy, but I'm no scientist.. just a experimenter

Todays weather hampered any work on the car and probably killed my millage with the head winds and the rain covered roads.. and I put on 100+ miles today.. but still I have 250+ miles on it and about 3/4 of a tank left.. last time I filled it was 1/2 empty tank was $17 at $4 a gallon.. and this was premodded milage by me driving it home in stock condition.. and it had 250 miles on the 1/2 tank of fuel.. so it's looking decent for MPG

Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ebacherville,
If you paint it all the same color it will look great.
Maybe bondo up around the edges of the headlight plastic so it is level there instead of a step. Mask off the plastic in a nice neat pattern before you paint. Make the paint line go onto the plastic to make it blend in. Paint the screws that hold the plastic in.
This is what it could look like:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/featur...Front_View.jpg
Note the black in front of the headlight under the headlight plastic gives the whole nose a solid look. You can even paint black around the air inlet hole to give it a wider look.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #105 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoyoda View Post
ebacherville,
If you paint it all the same color it will look great.
Maybe bondo up around the edges of the headlight plastic so it is level there instead of a step. Mask off the plastic in a nice neat pattern before you paint. Make the paint line go onto the plastic to make it blend in. Paint the screws that hold the plastic in.
This is what it could look like:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/featur...Front_View.jpg
Note the black in front of the headlight under the headlight plastic gives the whole nose a solid look. You can even paint black around the air inlet hole to give it a wider look.
Yeah well at this point I'm not to concerned about looks, and its a slow reprocess doing all this stuff.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #106 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah well at this point I'm not to concerned about looks, and its a slow reprocess doing all this stuff.

Slow? You are an absolute speed demon as far as I am concerned. I have projects that have been unfinished for at least 7 years. There are probably other unfinished projects that are older but I have forgotten about them. The reason for my delay getting projects done is that I am busy ordering parts for new projects that I have not started yet. The good news is that I am so far behind I can never die.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #107 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Well i filled up at 308 miles on the tank and got 6.46 gallons in there... Kind of bummed.. only 47.7 mpg.. but 100 of those miles were heavy rain and high winds..

However i think i found something interesting, my car at 55mph is about 2200 rpm and i have read reports of 88 CRX HF's at 1850 rpm at 55.. so i think my tranny ist a true HF tranny, the owner said it was original.. however i have herd of diffrent tranny's being in CRX HF's in diffrent places of origin..

However I did find a way to fix this.. the old school beetle tires are 165/80-15's.. there 15% taller than the 175/70-13's on the car now, just need to find some 15" 4 bolt light rims and I'll get to about the reported HF rpm per actual MPH... the speedo would be off but nothing that cant be calculated out with math

Also my spedo isn't 100% accurate.. its off by 2 mph.. tested it with the GPS

Now a can any one confirm the RPM of a first gen 1.35l HF CRX?

Last edited by ebacherville; 06-03-2008 at 08:16 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #108 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
You might have a CA HF tranny (or high alt).
Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #109 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

yeah.. could be .. it originally was from Indiana.. not exactly high altitude.. who knows.. odder crap has happened.. My dads cavaliere had a big wrench left in the tail gate from the factory.. really big like semi trailor mechanic tools..

However I'm doing better than the EPA.. so thats a plus.. but I'm still shooting for 80mpg

However this VW beetle tire idea seem like its going to work.. there a bit skinnier and taller .. probably a bit more weight then the 13" however.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #110 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

for gear ratios this might help. also looks like swapping 5th gears is easy

http://hondaswap.com/civic-crx-ew/hf...-tranny-70579/

Reply  Post New Thread