View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Lets put some hard numbers on it.

MMM has already done most of the math for us.

Lets say 6 mile commute. Average sized human, going about 12mph, for 30 min is about 250 calories. Cycling - Calories Burned Bike Riding
500 calories (in the form of food made from home) should cost about 38 cents
Killing your $1000 Grocery Bill | Mr. Money Mustache

Driving a reasonably efficient car, considering only per mile costs, is about 17 cents per mile The True Cost of Commuting | Mr. Money Mustache
Which is just over a dollar for the 6 miles.

So, that makes biking over 60% cheaper, even if you don't factor in the exercise (no, it doesn't take the place of strength training, but it does take the place of aerobic), or the fixed costs of buying and insuring a car.

So, yeah, actually, I admit that's a much smaller gap than I imagined. But its still cheaper, and the health benefits and the possibility of going totally carless (or, of having only one car in a household with 2 drivers, instead of a car for each) push it over the top into being very worthwhile looking into it as a good way to get around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?

Last edited by JacobAziza; 05-11-2012 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: skipped one important math step!