Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
The miles per dollar analysis ignores the huge upfront cost investment in a motor vehicle, the huge annopual insurance and maintenance costs and the fact that you will still burn calories while driving.
I did neglect insurance cost. However, if you drive AT ALL, you need insurance.

Maintenance costs are a factor, although thats why I said some cars. Last year I sold a car that cost me less than 1cent/mile in maintenance. I'm on track to have extremely low maintenance costs on my current daily driver when I sell it as well.

And in regards to calories burnt driving... my BMR is 1960 calories. In 20 minutes of driving I'll burn around 30 cals - almost insignificant compared with the 500+ biking to work.

The link above is interesting and shows the huge variation in calories/dollar. Unfortunately I eat low carb, which eliminates all of the high calorie/dollar foods except peanut butter.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
But the other thing you are neglecting is the medical bills you pay if you go a lifetime getting no exercise.
Assuming you do exercise, you can combine said exercise with your commute, and then you are burning no additional calories. In that way you are also not taking up any additional time from your day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobAziza For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I always found it funny to see people drive to the gym... then proceed to drive everywhere, for everything, like 2 blocks to the store, or get a ride home because it got dark, or whatever. The best ones are those that circle, circle, and circle again the parking lot at the gym for the closest spot.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Those are generally the same people who, once inside, spend the entire "workout" walking on a treadmill.
But its worth the monthly dues, because they couldn't watch TV while walking if they weren't at the gym!

Quote:
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yeah, the oddballs that drive to the gym and hunt for the closest spot are a bit weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
But the other thing you are neglecting is the medical bills you pay if you go a lifetime getting no exercise.
Assuming you do exercise, you can combine said exercise with your commute, and then you are burning no additional calories. In that way you are also not taking up any additional time from your day.
I don't think its that black and white. I do exercise besides biking - I lift weights (full Olympic set in my basement - no need to drive anywhere). I can't combine that with my commute, and there is no way biking will accomplish the same thing

I'm sure we could debate this all day, I was just pointing out that biking isn't nearly as free as people like to think it is.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

500 calories a day, in terms of cost, as long as you cook yourself, is a drop in the bucket compared To the upfront cost of a car... And as I said, most estimates of calories burned assume you're cycling briskly. In cycling, as in driving, slower is more efficient.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
When I ride to work I pack 4 sandwiches instead of 3, because I know I will be hungrier.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lets put some hard numbers on it.

MMM has already done most of the math for us.

Lets say 6 mile commute. Average sized human, going about 12mph, for 30 min is about 250 calories. Cycling - Calories Burned Bike Riding
500 calories (in the form of food made from home) should cost about 38 cents
Killing your $1000 Grocery Bill | Mr. Money Mustache

Driving a reasonably efficient car, considering only per mile costs, is about 17 cents per mile The True Cost of Commuting | Mr. Money Mustache
Which is just over a dollar for the 6 miles.

So, that makes biking over 60% cheaper, even if you don't factor in the exercise (no, it doesn't take the place of strength training, but it does take the place of aerobic), or the fixed costs of buying and insuring a car.

So, yeah, actually, I admit that's a much smaller gap than I imagined. But its still cheaper, and the health benefits and the possibility of going totally carless (or, of having only one car in a household with 2 drivers, instead of a car for each) push it over the top into being very worthwhile looking into it as a good way to get around.

Quote:

Last edited by JacobAziza; 05-11-2012 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: skipped one important math step!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Realistically, *most* people would burn off their excess fat, gain muscle and lower their blood pressure. As a bonus you can enjoy larger meals and stay fit.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For anyone who got a 404 error when trying to read the blog in question, its back up now

Infinity Miles Per Gallon

Quote:

Reply  Post New Thread