View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #34 (permalink)
Arminius
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
That's not necessarily true. MN is going to E20 soon. Brazil has had E20 for a long time. I've seen and have seen others get increase in FE with mixtures of E15. Here's a thread on it also check out this page.

You'll be fine with the a couple of gallons of E85 but if the mixture gets over E50 the mileage does start to drop pretty quickly.
I'm not sure at what point any given manufacturer says damage might occur. However, most say 10% is safe on standard EFI, and no more. Flex-fuel vehicles are designed to use 15%.

As for efficiency, the EPA and Consumer Reports agree, Ethanol sucks FE, as compared to gas. No major study that I know of says otherwise. No scientist alive claims that gas has less usable energy than ethanol, or that ethanol is superior in energy storage and/or release.

As for what people on threads say, there are people who say they are running their cars on water, orange juice or coffee. I really don't have much confindence in what they say, for scientific reasons.

Quote:
However, a standard EFI gasoline engine can typically only tolerate up to 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline. Higher ethanol ratios require either larger-volume fuel injectors or an increase in fuel rail pressure to deliver the greater liquid volume needed to equal the energy content of pure gasoline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

Last edited by Arminius; 06-03-2008 at 12:23 AM..