View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
A.D.D.
EcoModding Lurker

vw - '04 Volkswagen Passat GLX
Question New Car Advice??!! (5-seater, 40+ mpg, 5 years old or less, $14k budget)

Not sure where to post this.

I introduced myself.

No replies.

So, here goes.......

I am in the market for a "NEW" car. Budget $14k

It MUST seat 5 and I would like to see 40+ mpg.

I am a car enthusiast and WOULD build one of these crazy electric/ hybrid/ Experimental vehicles in a heartbeat...... BUT..... I am MARRIED.

I have a 1950 Studebaker Pickup and a 1951 Chevy Business coupe hot rod.

My WIFE drives a 2004 VW passat wagon with power God knows EVERYTHING.....

Time to replace it. So... I convinced her we need something more fuel effiecient. I am ready to take the plunge and find a new hobby (fuel efficiency).

So..... out there in Ecomodder....land..... WHAT....in your OPINION would be the best BASIS...the best "Testbed" for an "Eco-mod" challenge.

Keep in mind... it MUST be newer (likely 5 years old or newer), have creature comforts, and be UNDER $14,000 smacker-roos!

So far..... in the running: Scion XB and XD, Honda FIT, VW TDI (used) and the Nissan CUBE.

I am leaning HEAVILY towards a NISSAN CUBE. NEW 2012 for 14k and change + tax, title, tags.....

Keep in mind I have had old cars, Hot Rods and GERMAN cars. I (and my wife especially) will not be caught DEAD in a homely econo-box. In fact..I checked out the mazda 3 Skyactiv (out of budget)...and settled on ONLY the hot-hatch. BUT... can't justifuy $20k+ for the upscale model required to get Skyactiv.

So........
given the budget, and the parameters, what would YOU pick?

>