View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
A.D.D.
EcoModding Lurker

vw - '04 Volkswagen Passat GLX
Thanks for the reply.

I am realistic. And I am a motorhead. So.... ideally...I would like to build a lifted VW Westfalia camper TDI hybrid AWD with a safari rack ...fully self contained and capable of running on nearly anything combustible including bio-diesel.....

But....I am married and this will be the wife's commuter. So....NO PROJECTS. I have to BUY something newer.

Also, we are on the West Coast....Seattle....so people are a little weird up here. Sand Beige sub compact 4 door sedans are everywhere....but the "HIP" younger Seattlites (like my wife) are into quirky cars. IE: Honda Element, Prius, Smart cars, Toyota IQ, Fiat, Mini cooper, Audi TT, VW Beetle, Nissan Cube, etc......

In my defense.... I am from back East....land of the black LINCOLN Town Car that gets 12 mpg.......

So... I guess my question is about economics. Personally... I could find a used GEO METRO and get 50MPG pretty easily. Or buy an old Beetle and convert it to electric (quite a few of those here around town).....

BUT.... again, I am Married and the wife will be the primary driver. Her car is a 2004 purchased new and gets 25 or so on the hiway and a WORST of 20 in traffic and depending on weather.

My goal is to buy something cheap ($14k or less) that runs on cheap gas, cheap tires, cheap oil changes, etc.... that be be modded conservatively and lends itself to mods (already aero-dynamic) and already a gas sipper.

That being said.... SHE has input. It has to have power windows, keyless entry, etc. I would be curious how many eco-modders have wives that will drive a modded car with no A/C or power accessories

So... I figure 40+ mpg is the target (and I would be happy with 32, 33, 34, 35+ while getting there).

I won't pay a premium for the Mazda "Skyactiv" technology...because I will NEVER get that money back in fuel savings. Hybrids are OUT... too expensive and used models will need potential expensive repairs (if anyone is curious--check Seattle Craigslist--our used car market is OUTRAGEOUS).

That leaves cheap gas powered 4 bangers and TDI. VW is one of the only makers with a TDI in our price range and most are pre 2005 with UP TO 200,000 miles! The Golf is too small and Jetta and Passat Wagons are hard to come by. BUT... my wife would JUMP at a 2005 Passat Wagon TDI with low miles......

Her VW is worth around $8k... so with tax and title, etc... we are paying around $8k for the new ride.

I found a 2010 "CUBE" used for $12,500 with 10k miles on the clock. They are rated at 35 hiway. Forums show that MOST owners are reporting 29-31 average.
I could see 35 being an acheivable goal with some mods...BUT........40? The car is shaped like a........a...... well, a CUBE. I just can't imagine overcoming the aero-dynamics!

The Scion XD is MUCH more slippery....but fuel mileage averages seem to be less overall.

We looked at the Honda "FIT".... but not sure if we will all......"FIT".

It's frustrating!

DAMN automakers! I had a 1963 Nova Super Sport with a 283 V8/ powerglide automatic as a teen in the 80's... it was good for 18-25 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!! My 1954 Chevy coupe with a 235 6 banger 3 on the tree was CHERRY and good for the same 20+ MPG!

Never had one... but the little Nash Metropolitan from the 50's was good for 30+ MPG CONSISTENTLY!!!!!

My wife's first car was a used Nissan Pulsar that was a consistant 30 MPG'r.....

So...WHY....OH, WHY do the 2012 models (smaller cars --excluding hybrids and electric)....pretty much ALL average 30ish MPG?

GEEZ.

We take weekend trips, Ski, Hike, etc...... so whatever we get has to have room (roof racks defeat the purpose here). And with the miles we drive... it's finally time to get at least ONE vehicle in the household that sips gas.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated!