View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
A.D.D.
EcoModding Lurker

vw - '04 Volkswagen Passat GLX
Wow! You guys are great!

I appreciate all of the feedback!

I actually looked at the HHR, and ALL of the "Boxy" type vehicles (Scion, Cube, PT Cruiser, Soul, etc)..... Even checked out/ drove the Highlander hybrid (gas and cost are out).

So far only the Cube and Scion are of interest (the cube and xb offer high roof loading areas with fold down seats).

HATE TO SAY IT..... but we are station wagon/ suv lifestyle folks. "Fun--recreational" vehicles over the last 15 years have been: a lifted and modified Landcruiser (drove it to Alaska for vacation once), 2 subaru wagons and the VW passat wagon. Years ago...I had VW camper-buses (2-3 over a 5 year period).... if I could have one of those that gave me 40 MPG..I would NEVER be without one til the day I died............

I saw most of those Hybrids on Craigslist. One concern..... several are "Reconstructed/rebuilt title". That means they were "totaled". Now, I have bodyshop experience and "totaled" could mean minor damage--- but if the airbags deployed....it's TOAST as far as the insurance company, liability and pretty much any chance of ever having a clean title again.

Don't get me wrong... when I was younger I had a couple of "Branded title" cars. One VW Golf in particular was a SCREAMING deal! Another was a buddies 5.0 Mustang Nevada hiway patrol interceptor (all police, taxi, etc.. vehicles are "branded" so to speak).

It's VERY common up here in Seattle... we have DOZENS of car dealers that buy wrecks, rebuild them as resell for profit...nothing wrong with that--- but NOT for me (at this age).

Another concern I have is a few friends with problems with their hybrids. 2 were Honda civics with battery problems, one was a Prius that was likely just a lemon.

My Mother in law works for a Toyota Dealer and sings their praises... but admits that they have seen some pretty high repair bills.

When it comes to buying cars, I usually get extraordinary deals... but I am not motivated to have a car payment.

If it were just me.. I would consider something less than $6k (and well back of book)...drive it for a year (or 2-3) and sell it for nearly what I originally paid. (done it many times).

Again, my concerns with the hybrids are WHAT exactly I can do to it myself. I mean, a cheap little 4 banger will get a full synthetic oil change every 4-5k miles with a dealer oil filter for less than $50 (diy), cheap tires, brakes for $50 an axle or less, cheap Costco >87 octane gas, etc. If the alternator goes out.. I can diy for $100, etc, etc, etc......

With the internet....diy tutorials are 100% better than the old Bentley manual and common mechanic knowledge.

Also looking at resale. I won't pay a premium because it's desireable... but also expect to spend no more than $3500 a year TOTAL OPERATING COSTS... based on 15k miles a year... and 1/3 depreciation over 5 years... on fuel, maintenance, etc...... Obviously I would like to spend less....

With my fuzzy math... that's 5 years on a $15k car... with 32.5 mpg average + oil changes, tires, brakes and possibly a timing belt/chain (75k-ish after 5 years or added onto the miles on it when I bought it used) $2k in fuel, $1k in depreciation.. the rest in maintenance.

I would love to spend 1/2 that a year............

So...I guess I will go drive a certified pre owned Prius and Civic.... to see how they drive and how they fit into our lifestyle.... if they pass muster.. I'll look for a "deal"

I am also looking at what all of you are driving and what kind of mileage you are getting.

Also... HOW IN THE WORLD is that green Scion getting such high mileage???????

Still gotta drive the Honda Fit too (looks too small though).

Thanks again.