View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
The Unicorn Corral is full of every sort of kit and gizmo overlooked by automotive manufacturers (somehow!) that can, with virtually no effort, improve power and fuel efficiency by ten billion percent for the low low cost of $159.95 and here are some testimonials!

But many of those products have been on the market for quite some time, implying that whether they work or not, they must be selling often enough to reward the people selling them... so why isn't anyone buying sheets of perforated polyethylene and cutting it into shapes that are likely to fit under the average car, and selling that as a fuel saving, performance enhancing kit?

It fits the qualifications of something fairly simple overlooked by manufacturers and possible to install on almost any existing car, reversibly without voiding warranty - only falling short of true unicorn status due to its probability of actually working.

I don't have the savvy to try my hand at business, but if I were the enterprising sort I'd be all over that, because there doesn't appear to be anything like it on the market thus far.
If used as a skin,Hucho will tell you that it won't work perform do to the holes,as air will not support any load and merely deflect away so as to attempt equilibrium from the stressor.
If it's used over a skin as a turbulator we fall into the one-size-fits-all conundrum,presuming that all vehicles,and all points on them have identical boundary layer thickness.Which also doesn't pass the smell test.
A good fast back or square back doesn't suffer separation,so this 'film' would be limited to notch backs which already have VGs engineered for and efficacy demonstrated.
So what did the manufacturer miss? And would Barbie and Ken want it on their Fashionista GT?