Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 595
Thanks: 106
Thanked 113 Times in 71 Posts
Magical Fuel Savers

Since it's easier to criticize than create, and reading comprehension seems not to be a strong suit around here, I hereby abandon this topic.

__________________
2005 Escape 2.3 MT 2WD
2002 Mustang 3.8 AT
2015 Ram 1500 5.7L 4WD
2002 Motobecane 700DS

Last edited by shovel; 06-05-2012 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: HURRR!!!
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
euromodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,667

GasDwarf - '13 Volkswagen up! EcoFuel CNG
Thanks: 176
Thanked 643 Times in 510 Posts
Cars are very different underneath.
And it's a bit involved to get it off the ground to work on it.

Being a bit too involved, it also doesn't really fit the no effort / magical benefit scheme.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
mcrews (06-02-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,611
Thanks: 20,273
Thanked 6,282 Times in 3,888 Posts
poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
The Unicorn Corral is full of every sort of kit and gizmo overlooked by automotive manufacturers (somehow!) that can, with virtually no effort, improve power and fuel efficiency by ten billion percent for the low low cost of $159.95 and here are some testimonials!

But many of those products have been on the market for quite some time, implying that whether they work or not, they must be selling often enough to reward the people selling them... so why isn't anyone buying sheets of perforated polyethylene and cutting it into shapes that are likely to fit under the average car, and selling that as a fuel saving, performance enhancing kit?

It fits the qualifications of something fairly simple overlooked by manufacturers and possible to install on almost any existing car, reversibly without voiding warranty - only falling short of true unicorn status due to its probability of actually working.

I don't have the savvy to try my hand at business, but if I were the enterprising sort I'd be all over that, because there doesn't appear to be anything like it on the market thus far.
If used as a skin,Hucho will tell you that it won't work perform do to the holes,as air will not support any load and merely deflect away so as to attempt equilibrium from the stressor.
If it's used over a skin as a turbulator we fall into the one-size-fits-all conundrum,presuming that all vehicles,and all points on them have identical boundary layer thickness.Which also doesn't pass the smell test.
A good fast back or square back doesn't suffer separation,so this 'film' would be limited to notch backs which already have VGs engineered for and efficacy demonstrated.
So what did the manufacturer miss? And would Barbie and Ken want it on their Fashionista GT?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,611
Thanks: 20,273
Thanked 6,282 Times in 3,888 Posts
same part

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
The same part you did?



Can you enlighten me? I've obviously missed the boat.
Okay! I re-read the part about being 'under' the car.
So you're advocating a perforated belly pan after the professional aerodynamicists with Ph.Ds in mechanical engineering who have spent a career around world-class wind tunnels exploring low drag and have published books that say 'don't use perforated panels anywhere,at anytime'?

Last edited by aerohead; 06-02-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Post re-read and enlightenment
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
landsailor (06-04-2012), mcrews (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 158

minispeed-Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.15 mpg (US)

MDX - '01 Acura MDX Touring
90 day: 22.29 mpg (US)

the wife's car - '13 Toyota Prius Plus
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)

leaf-one - '15 Nissan Leaf SV
Thanks: 4
Thanked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I was reading through and right at the bottom of the original post was:

"improve fuel economy by 20%"
www.fuelxxxxx.ca

"more power less fuel"
?_?_??_? - ??

"$69 Kia optima chip, 60 hp +7mpg"
ccccc.com

see the adds are supporting your point!
__________________






  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
kach22i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 3,833
Thanks: 49
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,785 Posts
Maybe this needs to go back to the Unicorn Corral?
__________________
George
Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mcrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,523

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Thanks: 2,203
Thanked 659 Times in 474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Maybe this needs to go back to the Unicorn Corral?
quickly
__________________
MetroMPG: "Get the MPG gauge - it turns driving into a fuel & money saving game."

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcrews For This Useful Post:
landsailor (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,611
Thanks: 20,273
Thanked 6,282 Times in 3,888 Posts
"universal" kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
Here's the part where I roll my eyes at your fixation on an auxilliary detail.

The reason I brought up perf was for ease of fitment as a "universal" kit. You don't like perf? screw perf then. Let's start over:
  • Belly pans actually address an aerodynamically dirty part of most cars on the road
  • No kit is currently marketed to address this
With me so far?

There are plenty of snake oil products, and always have been, and their continued existence implies that they sell well enough to make someone money.

Since a belly pan... of the NON PERFORATED KIND!!! has a likelihood of improving aero performance on a typical car, it seems such a thing would sell well.

Or you can keep arguing about perforations and miss the point of the thread again.. whatever.
*perhaps,any consumer,savvy enough to envision the aerodynamic benefit of a DIY belly pan would also be savvy enough,and have researched enough to realize that any material which was a candidate for panel material would necessarily be non-aspirated in nature.
* the ease of fitment argument of the perforated material would be a non-starter as much as an argument that an empty plate of food would be easier and quicker to consume than a full plate of food.
*Quite literally,a would-be fabricator would 'see right through' the argument.
*That's not to say that you couldn't get rich selling the stuff.There's no shortage of fools.People are still buying uber-lubes with PTF and continue to attest to its benefit.
*You probably won't get much traction here at the 'Forum' though.There's just no 'science' to support any claims you could make as to efficacy.
*And you'd want to always watch your back.
PS,your 'NON-PERFORATED' technology has been superseded by coroplast.I have no idea how you could reverse the popularity of this material which has already made it under so many vehicles.

Last edited by aerohead; 06-04-2012 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: PS
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 595
Thanks: 106
Thanked 113 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
*And you'd want to always watch your back.
what does that even mean?

So you're saying belly pans don't work at all no matter what they're made of and that nobody should ever attempt to assemble & market any sort of kit with some/most of the work already done... or.. um.. they have to "watch their back" ?
__________________
2005 Escape 2.3 MT 2WD
2002 Mustang 3.8 AT
2015 Ram 1500 5.7L 4WD
2002 Motobecane 700DS
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,300

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Thanks: 315
Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts
No, I believe he said why mess with perforated material when you can use regular choroplast and get better results. Unless you have better, which seems unlikely.

__________________
I'm not coasting, I'm shifting slowly.
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com