View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soichiro View Post
shovel: Thanks for the link, although it also seems like the same price as at change2e85.com.
Same kit, same price - I just provided the link to answer your questions about anyone having experience with 'em. I don't have any connection to the company except that I bought stuff from them once.

The kit extends injector pulses so your car's ECU goes into negative fuel trim for straight gasoline and therefore has enough positive trim available to maintain stoichiometry on E85. Simple, but it works well.

As an alternative, you may be able to increase fuel rail pressure with a new fuel pressure regulator - you're on your own for the math there, but it would have essentially the same effect. Or cross-reference injectors with a higher flow rate (lbs/hr) - there aren't many different styles of fuel injectors so this is a pretty common practice, for example we used to put Ford V8 injectors in Jeep I6's to attain a smoother idle and a bit more highway pull on long hills.

My '02 grand cherokee has the H.O. motor, whose injectors flow 3.3lb/hr greater than the non-H.O. variant of the same displacement motor. The result? Non-H.O. versions trim to +25 and illuminate CEL on E85, while H.O.'s trim to <+18 and operate exceptionally well.