View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
vrmilionzx
Function over form!

S14 - '95 Nissan 240sx se
Sports Cars
90 day: 19.89 mpg (US)

S13 - '93 Nissan 240sx base
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.42 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to vrmilionzx
I'm a little torn by this thread. There's another thread somewhere on here (I'd link it, but I'm feeling lazy) about how big motor performance nuts like to routinely join in order to troll here. This seems to be a similar type of behavior.
On one hand, I think anyone who doesn't appreciate 'performance' as a goal that you can modify your behavior or vehicle to try and meet, regardless of whether that goal is mpg, hp, tq, times, etc should really open their eyes (the people on the other forum, being d-bags about your mileage). On the other hand, while I applaud your achievement (it certainly gives me a target to work towards with my OBW), I feel a little bit like seeing this thread (or at least the title) is a couple of steps in the wrong direction.
I'm all about optimization; real optimization (when it comes to ICE engines and cars in general) results in not only better fuel efficiency, but quite often more power/'performance' as well. For example, removing your power steering pump (pulley driven) will reduce parasitic drag on the motor, allowing you to get better fuel efficiency; it ALSO frees up a couple of hp that were being used to drive the pulley. While it's not ADDING power, it certainly optimizes, and makes it available for use however you see fit. Reducing weight will do the same thing - improves your FE, but also improves handling, braking, acceleration. To me, it's all really a question of what target you are optimizing towards.
I use the term "ricer" a fair bit, and I think it applies to the same people who are bagging on you in your thread on the other forum. In fairness, though, the way you posted it on here makes it look like you're trying to pick a pointless argument.

Not trying to 'call you out,' start an argument, or anything like that. I just feel like this thread is at odds with the one about people trolling here, and one of the things I really like about this forum is the generally respectful way that everyone seems to go about their posts.

Just my $0.02.