View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #231 (permalink)
ecomodded
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
On both my diesel Golf, and now the Festiva, I have no cooling fan. Don't let your car idle for any longer than you have to, and channel as much air through the radiator as you can by keeping airflow from going around, over, or under it.

Cooling fans, installed on the already piggish cooling systems of today's cars, are actually unnecessary. They're designed for a lazy market that likes the supposed convenience of leaving their car idle forever.

The only time it might be warranted (the cooling fan) or necessary, is if you're leaving the car on to utilize A/C. Even then, it's fairly easy to make a relay setup that will also turn a smaller, maybe 5A cooling fan on when you turn the A/C clutch on.

Removing the fan actually increases cooling capacity, also. It makes it so the air doesn't have an obstacle to move around. This is pretty easily identified because the airflow through the radiator moves the fan - obvious flow reduction.
My AC is dead so removing its mini rad will help keep the main rad cooler,its directly in front of the entire main rad. I will do this next, as summer is here ,so its time.

I only hear my electric main fan turn on briefly while at stop lights during a heatwave and once or twice while driving in a heat wave on hilly terrain, I was really surprised when it kicked in at 80kmh.

I already have a electric rad fan so i am keeping it. I am going to look into supplying it with less amps.
I can put a 5 amp fuse inline,possibly, to reduce the draw, i'll have to look into that..
Main thing right now is remove the ac rad, what a air hog.