View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
renault_megane_dci
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Thanks for your interest Grant.

Being a cyclist, I think you know bigger (taller) wheels are best as far as rolling resistance goes.
I believe it has to do with the contact patch size or maybe the end of contact between rubber and concrete being less abrupt, the tire sticks less ?

Anyway, the 16" wheel has a preedominant advantage : it is already fitted to the bike.

But I am trying to turn the bike in a more speed oriented object where stability at speed is highly important. Hence the longer swingarm.
Also, the smaller the tires (we are talking rear tires here) the least the speed index (tire has less time to cool down) and again I have a speed target.

So I am between :
- having a rear tire fitted
OR
- buying a new chain and rear sprocket,
- converting the swingarm to twin shocks and
- bigger swingarm axis and then
- converting to rear brake disk (my current brake pedal is drum brake so basically useless).

A known money amount on one han and an unknown amount of time on the other hand.
But even if I just have the rear tire fitted, I am still gonna convert to longer swingarm sometime so it is basically a waste of money (and I don't like wasting).

Anyway I made my mind today since my current tire is so f##ked I can no longer ride so I will just have it changed and hopefully a higher spec tire might provide a little more stability and not disintegrate above 80 mph ... (as the current one seems to)