View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #379 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
LM and Peugeot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Phil,

Is one of those cars you mentioned the same as the 1964 CD Panhard LM64? I'd read that it has a Cd of 0.13 and could go ~155MPH with the 1L 2-cyl engine.

I'm also curious to learn more about the 1967 Panhard CD Peugeot 66C:

It looks to have a longer tail and the fin stabilizers are slightly straighter.

George, I think you are pretty close in the big picture sense, on the air flow.
Neil,Ludvigsen mentions nothing about the LM64.
I can only presume that this car came out for the next season and had greater horsepower along with more slippery bodywork as it's top speed is significantly increased.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to the '67 Peugeot I've got zero.Sorry! This is the period of Burt Munro's first trip to the Salt Flats and I suspect that anyone involved with streamlining would be watching there,along with developments with aircraft,hydrofoils,missiles,subs,rockets,torpedoe s,trains(Shinkansen started service in 1964) and the like.
Mickey Thompson's Challenger-I was running Cd 0.16,with 13.77 sq ft frontal area.His 'Pumpkin seed' was out there.
There is so much interdisciplinary cross-pollination which goes on in aerodynamics,that Deutsch had probably thought of a few more 'tricks.'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS I'm looking through the backlight of the car and it looks like I'm seeing 4-velocity-stacks.If so,she's a mid-engined car which will be great for polar-moment-of-inertia as associated to steering,however this is also moving the center of gravity rearward which would mandate that they stretch the car to the rear,getting the vertical fins as far back as possible to get the center of pressure where they need it for high-speed stability.

Last edited by aerohead; 06-16-2012 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Add PS