View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
myrefugeisintheLord
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
This thread should be revived! I'm curious to hear of some other ideas.
I've deleted some things from my RAV:
roof rack,
right side mirror,
replaced left side mirror with a smaller one,
rear window wiper,
spoiler on good weather,
spare tire cover (more for looks then MPG obviously),
and back seat head rests and floor mats.

My dilemma, is I always like to be ready for anything. And often it's helping someone else. I've added so many things, which far outweighs what I've removed (various tools, jumper cables, survival kit, etc). I took my back seats out because I never used them, only to need them for the first time, and several times!!! But now that they're back... I haven't needed them once!!! AHHH!!! I'd love to take out the A/C, but my Mom and Grandma appreciate having it when they occasionally ride with me.

So... my solution to the problem??? Buy a different car for hypermiling only!! LOL. That way I get the best of both worlds.
The '96-'00 Civic HX I'd like to get will be stripped down to the lightest I can get it.
Where we live, you have to have a high clearance, 4x4 rig in the Winter. A front-wheel drive, lowered civic is a joke! RAVadoodle will still be helpful.
Now, I just need to learn to not LOVE the feel of a panel rattling subwoofer with 800 additional watts being drawn and probably an extra 30 lbs of weight.... *sigh* Probably won't happen....

I look forward to adding a LONG list to this thread some day!