View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #43 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'm sure the air in the L.A. basin isn't as clean as it was pre-industrial age. Even Minnesota has had air quality alerts- this in the age of strict pollution controls. Mark me down as highly suspicious of Dave's claim.

I agree with Dave that crash standards are too onerous, basically legislating lots of really neat vehicles right off our roads, and the remaining ones are saddled with excessive bulk and complexity.
Air quality alerts have less to do with vehicles and more to do with trends in the Coal fired power plant arena.

Weston 4 which we were forced to pay for despite not needing it went up and the 1976 Weston 2 stayed down for maintenance much of the time.

Weston 2 had excellent pollution controls, Weston 4 built during the bush era had NO POLLUTION CONTROLS AT ALL.

After it was built Wisconsin Started getting a fair number of pollution alerts especially during winter.

The company instead felt it cheaper to pay a fine and get an increase in electric fees because of the unused capacity.

Now the EPA is noticing and we will have to pay to upgrade Weston 4, too bad the investors and power company don't have a profits tax to penalize them for stupidity!