View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
MPGranger
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Well, I am a dummy because I forgot to record my To-Work trip! So I ditched the To-Home info. But I cycled AC on today on the glides. I noticed that I only got 38MPG to work and 36 to home. Which is definitely lower than my 40MPG to work and 38 MPG to home norm.

So let's discus my trips since I can't do simple tasks!

To Work; First of, my work is at a lowering elevation than my house. So my P&Gs are over a 15MPH spread. So I leave the development and hit the first highway, about 1 mile; first segment is 30MPH and the second 45MPH. I hit Highway1, which is 65MPH, for about 2 miles. And I merge onto Highway2, which is 65MPH for about 8 miles and then lowers to 55MPH for the last 3 miles. I will go through the front gate, which is a dead stop and typically has a line of cars waiting to get through. Then I spend the balance of my 22.2 miles going through a 45MPH rural road and a 35MPH "city." There are a few lights, about 4, that are favored for the opposite street.

So my thinking for cycling on during glides is that the AC, mine is off the belt, is running at idle and won't be wasting as much energy as cycling during pulses.

But I switched the AC on and off during a few glides and noticed that the AC gobbles up about 10LOD on my scanguage. (went from about 20 to about 30) So I would pulse with 80LOD with AC on instead of 70LOD with AC off.

But, for the test, I am going to leave the truck at 70LOD with the AC on. The thought in favor of this method is that the glide phase is racheting up the trip MPG number and the pulse is when I am actually using gas. I will be accelerating for a longer duration.

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
The Following User Says Thank You to MPGranger For This Useful Post:
landsailor (06-19-2012)