Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Test on number 88

88) Cycle the A/C if you have to use it
If you have to use the air conditioner, set the air flow to recirculate and manually turn the A/C on and off as needed. For greater efficiency, switch it on when under light engine loads or deceleration fuel cut off and off when under moderate/heavy loads. (Note: some newer vehicles do this automatically.)

I was rereading the 100+ Hypermiling Tips to freshen up on my tactics and realized that I was doing it wrong! But I started to cycle the AC on when I'm on my Pulse phase and cycling off on my Glides. I tried it vice versa and realized that there was a substantial lose in instant MPG during my glides. So I decided that I'll use more gas during the pulses, although I do feel a distinct lack of power when doing this.

So I will be actually doing a trip log from home to work and vice versa alternating styles and seeing what works better.

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
The Following User Says Thank You to MPGranger For This Useful Post:
landsailor (06-19-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
let us know what happens. i haven't done a test on my car but it would only make sense (to me ) to use the a/c when the engine is under a small load. I actualy did a test today turning on my a/c at 60mph cuts my fuel economy but about 19%

Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Well, I am a dummy because I forgot to record my To-Work trip! So I ditched the To-Home info. But I cycled AC on today on the glides. I noticed that I only got 38MPG to work and 36 to home. Which is definitely lower than my 40MPG to work and 38 MPG to home norm.

So let's discus my trips since I can't do simple tasks!

To Work; First of, my work is at a lowering elevation than my house. So my P&Gs are over a 15MPH spread. So I leave the development and hit the first highway, about 1 mile; first segment is 30MPH and the second 45MPH. I hit Highway1, which is 65MPH, for about 2 miles. And I merge onto Highway2, which is 65MPH for about 8 miles and then lowers to 55MPH for the last 3 miles. I will go through the front gate, which is a dead stop and typically has a line of cars waiting to get through. Then I spend the balance of my 22.2 miles going through a 45MPH rural road and a 35MPH "city." There are a few lights, about 4, that are favored for the opposite street.

So my thinking for cycling on during glides is that the AC, mine is off the belt, is running at idle and won't be wasting as much energy as cycling during pulses.

But I switched the AC on and off during a few glides and noticed that the AC gobbles up about 10LOD on my scanguage. (went from about 20 to about 30) So I would pulse with 80LOD with AC on instead of 70LOD with AC off.

But, for the test, I am going to leave the truck at 70LOD with the AC on. The thought in favor of this method is that the glide phase is racheting up the trip MPG number and the pulse is when I am actually using gas. I will be accelerating for a longer duration.

The Following User Says Thank You to MPGranger For This Useful Post:
landsailor (06-19-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Obviously, cycling the AC as needed is the most efficient way to use it, but I found the assumption (For greater efficiency, switch it on when under light engine loads or deceleration fuel cut off and off when under moderate/heavy loads.) to be dead wrong.

Using GPH as a measurement, I saw that it increased more while gliding than when the engine was already under load. This wasn't just by percentage but by actual increase amount. For example (and pulling numbers randomly out of my ass here) say I was gliding at 0.4 gph and hit the AC which brought me up to 0.8 gph. The compressor then added 0.4 gph to what I was already using anyway. Under load at 4.0 gph the AC only brought me up to 4.2 gph. So while gliding the AC costs me 0.4 gph but under load it only costs me 0.2 gph. Add that to the fact that I have to leave the engine running during the glide if I want to run the AC, then in practice it's costing me 0.8 gph instead of the 0.2 gph that it costs when I need to be running the engine anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Finally plugged in some numbers to my "experiment." Sorry, but probably won't ever get A B A results for you guys. Let's call this a scientific survey instead.

Unfortunately, my results so far support the established rule. But I also recently removed my lower grill block and and changed my oil from 10w40 to 5w20 and only did one day of driving with that.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
For example (and pulling numbers randomly out of my ass here) say I was gliding at 0.4 gph and hit the AC which brought me up to 0.8 gph. The compressor then added 0.4 gph to what I was already using anyway. Under load at 4.0 gph the AC only brought me up to 4.2 gph. So while gliding the AC costs me 0.4 gph but under load it only costs me 0.2 gph.
did you do this while maintaining the throttle position, or cruising at a steady speed?

just thinking, if you were holding the throttle steady while accelerating, when you turned on the a/c you may not be able to perceive the car accelerating at a slightly slower rate.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Very good point. In my old Suzuki Esteem, the AC was a major part of engine load- under hard acceleration I would get a noticeable boost by shutting off the AC. With plenty of power it's not noticeable at all, but it does still exist. I did it under acceleration at a steady throttle position and while I didn't notice any lag I wasn't measuring for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Very perfect your post is! I just read articles of other's before, and this time I am pondering your words seriously. It is my appreciation to learn from you something.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Adding a load to an engine in a high load state of operation will give you energy for about half the cost of the same load at idle when your efficiency is terrible. Best time to engage the compressor is when you would normally experience DFCO. Then your normally wasted inertia is doing something constructive.

If you only P&G without any constant load operation then on the pulse or DFCO are your only good options.

regards
Mech
Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
FC -

Not sure I understand why you say (For greater efficiency, switch it on when under light engine loads or deceleration fuel cut off and off when under moderate/heavy loads.) is dead wrong, based on the example you provided... You compared AC use during idle (which is no load) while gliding to full load, whereas the recommendation was to use AC under light load (not no load). Did you also compare AC use during light load (e.g. cruising) to AC use under full load?

Reply  Post New Thread