View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #154 (permalink)
Formula413
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I've driven my 2000 Insight 5-spd with the IMA switch "off" for ~5000 km, so I can comment on this:
  • The DC-DC converter still works, though it is quirky - it sometimes takes a while to activate after starting the engine.
  • DC-DC function ceases if engine RPM exceeds ~4k, and takes ~30 seconds to resume once RPM falls below that
  • When the DC-DC converter is offline, the 12v battery idiot light comes on in the instrument cluster, so it's easy to know when it's on or off.
Of course, whether this is applies to other owners depends on whether Honda's programming/logic is the same across all years/revisions and that mine represents normal functioning. May not be!
I'm pretty sure my Civic is different. After trying to drive the car with the switch off I can tell you I was reluctant to drive the car around the block in that condition, much less for an extended period. Basically the battery is not charged below ~1400 RPM. As you can imagine that makes it very difficult to keep the battery charging when the car idles at 750 RPM when warm. And when it was not charging voltage was sitting at around 11.6, so yeah, kinda scary. That convinced me that when I do refurbish the pack I will simply park the car, which is a luxury I have since I own two cars.