View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
...a stripper Toyota Echo. It's geared at about 2600 at 55 MPH so you should be able to climb that grade in 5th or possibly 4th, and coast on the return trip, engine off (manual steering). Would probably come close to the mileage of the Insight and carry 5 passengers in a pinch.
Don't think so. Maybe if it was a fairly straight road you could (Insight will climb that sort of grade at 55 in 3rd), but when you have to slow down for the hairpin curves? (And tourist traffic :-()

Also, there's never been a time when I've wanted to carry more than one other person in the Insight. And it's only 1850 lbs, vs the just over 2000 you quote for the Echo.

Quote:
Not interested in owning one when the catalyst, battery, and other very expensive parts start to fail. It was neat and fun while I owned it, but I can get the same mileage on my bike when I am alone.
I suppose I might agree about the parts failures. Let you know for sure when & if. A/C is something I use only on the rare instances when I have to do something like cross the San Joaquin valley on a summer afternoon. Nor have I ever had a (motor) bike that'd get better mpg than the Insight - and carry the two dogs, too.