Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The DeltaWing is a sign of things to come -- the rules in 2014 will lift all restrictions on engines and motors -- but there will be a fixed amount of fuel for each car for the entire race.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Sport Compact Driver

Celica Gts - '84 Toyota Celica Gts
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.32 mpg (US)

The Bee - '96 Mazda B4000 4x4 Base
Pickups
90 day: 20.39 mpg (US)
I love how they`ve chosen to go for the closed cockpit this time, I think it`s better for both the driver and the aerodynamics..[/QUOTE]

Closed cockpit designs are great for aero, terrible for the driver. Open cockpits have less heat, better visibility, easier escape(left, right, over the hood) and are more comfortable.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Diabla - '09 Renault Laguna Hatchback
Sorry, I didn`t know about that. I thought that not having to wipe all of those insects off your helmet and being a little isolated from the noise and wind makes for a better position.

Last edited by lowglider; 06-22-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty Modder View Post
Closed cockpit designs are great for aero, terrible for the driver....
unless it's raining during the race, which happens often at 24hrs of LeMans
Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Manufacturers use market data to make decisions about what to offer.
Couldn't prove it by me. Seems more as though they decide to build particular models based on internal politics, then throw advertising money at the result until it sells. Or sometimes doesn't, as e.g. that retro-looking Chevy pickup thing.

Quote:
...compared to everything made from 2006 to the new 2013 models, the Insight is still number 1.
I know. I own one. But it could have been even better - and mine is, thanks to a MIMA system :-)

Quote:
Climbing mountainous areas actually allows for better efficiency than flat land constant speed driving.
Not if the stock control system depletes the battery in the first couple of thousand vertical feet, and then robs power from the engine to recharge the battery while climbing.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Which is why I posted that if I had to climb a 5k grade of 13.5 miles and back every day, I would probably get a stripper Toyota Echo. It's geared at about 2600 at 55 MPH so you should be able to climb that grade in 5th or possibly 4th, and coast on the return trip, engine off (manual steering). Would probably come close to the mileage of the Insight and carry 5 passengers in a pinch.

I sold my Insight after it had $7000 in warranty work in 1 year from 35k to 65k miles. Not interested in owning one when the catalyst, battery, and other very expensive parts start to fail. It was neat and fun while I owned it, but I can get the same mileage on my bike when I am alone. Today I almost hit 50 MPG in my Fiesta with the AC running.
The AC in the Insight cost 10 MPG, and dropped the mileage to the lower 50s which is not a lot more than the Fiesta.

regards
Mech
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Which is why I posted that if I had to climb a 5k grade of 13.5 miles and back every day, I would probably get a stripper Toyota Echo. It's geared at about 2600 at 55 MPH so you should be able to climb that grade in 5th or possibly 4th, and coast on the return trip, engine off (manual steering). Would probably come close to the mileage of the Insight and carry 5 passengers in a pinch.
regards
Mech
An average grade of 7%? I'm not sure you could safely turn off your engine, unless you still kept it in gear on the steeper sections. Could keep up the brake vacuum if you did, I suppose...just thinking out loud.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I owned a manual Echo 2 DR. Just over 2k pounds. Brake booster was tiny and the stripper had no PS. Mine had no AC, crank up windows. If you needed booster for braking just let the clutch out with the engine shut down and you will have vacuum. No problem stopping that car with the engine off.

The lighter car will not reach the same terminal velocity going downhill. I have seen 85 downhill near Blacksburg Va. on a trip to Va Tech. I never do engine off, but you can just use the gears on that kind of downgrade to engage DFCO, which is what I did in my VX.

In the Insight it just charged the battery back up. I did have a warranty battery, module, and catalytic converter replaced under Hondas warranties. Had to pay for the oxygen sensor becasue the previous owner put a K&N air filter in it and put too much oil in it.

The lightweight Echo will climb the grade using less energy, since it weighs less it takes less power to climb. It also lowers terminal coasting speed since there is less sectional density in a lighter car (ballistics). The Echo is also geared poorly for higher speeds. It needs about a 15-20% taller 5th gear. While not good on flat ground it would work very well climbing a 7% grade, which is close to the maximum allowed on Interstates.

In 1968 when I drove my 63 Valiant with the 101 HP 170 CI slant six, I had to downshift to 2nd go to max revs and then shift to 3rd and watch my speed slowly drop to 35 MPH then back to second and up to 55 MPH. This was for a distance of close to 8 miles (8% grade) climbing Afton mountain, between Charlottesville and Waynesboro Va.

43 years ago.

The Valiant got 28 MPG on flat ground, on cheap bias ply recaps. You had to rebuild the wheel cylinders every 20 k miles or when one blew a seal, your brake pedal went to the floor and all you had was the pull handle under the dash which you twisted to release the emergency brake. It weighed less than my 2011 Fiesta and had half the gears.

Ever driven home on one of those (pull and twist handle ebrake) with an auto transmission? I teaches you to never tailgate anyone or you eat someones rear bumper.

regards
Mech
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
...a stripper Toyota Echo. It's geared at about 2600 at 55 MPH so you should be able to climb that grade in 5th or possibly 4th, and coast on the return trip, engine off (manual steering). Would probably come close to the mileage of the Insight and carry 5 passengers in a pinch.
Don't think so. Maybe if it was a fairly straight road you could (Insight will climb that sort of grade at 55 in 3rd), but when you have to slow down for the hairpin curves? (And tourist traffic :-()

Also, there's never been a time when I've wanted to carry more than one other person in the Insight. And it's only 1850 lbs, vs the just over 2000 you quote for the Echo.

Quote:
Not interested in owning one when the catalyst, battery, and other very expensive parts start to fail. It was neat and fun while I owned it, but I can get the same mileage on my bike when I am alone.
I suppose I might agree about the parts failures. Let you know for sure when & if. A/C is something I use only on the rare instances when I have to do something like cross the San Joaquin valley on a summer afternoon. Nor have I ever had a (motor) bike that'd get better mpg than the Insight - and carry the two dogs, too.

Reply  Post New Thread