View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #157 (permalink)
Formula413
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I've also noticed the DC-DC periodically shuts down on its own accord, even at steady cruise, and permits battery voltage to fall. It always comes back online on its own though after a minute or two. Interestingly: it does not light the dashboard battery idiot light when this happens - I just happened to catch it on the ScanGauge.

When this happens, if I turn the headlights ON, DC-DC output immediately resumes. That last fact makes me wonder if Honda was doing some sort of "smart" output control under specific conditions (which I haven't discerned).
I've noticed that on my car the voltage seems to occasionally cycle between 14V and 12V during normal driving. I am guessing that it does this when it sees the 12V battery as charged and stops charging it. But if I put any load on it (IE headlights), just like you said it will go back to 14V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I've also been driving with the carpet & metal cover removed from the IMA stuff in the back of the car. I can often hear when the DC-DC stops/starts. It makes a very quiet but distinct electronic noise (not a relay) when it does. Can't think of how to describe it.
I noticed that too, I could hear a distinct sound whenever it went into regen, like a faint high pitched hum.