View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bicycle Bob
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I can't edit the wiki, so before I forget, I reccomend "How to Make Your Car Handle" by Fred Puhn. It is a lot easier to read than most chassis texts, but accurate and thorough. If you are changing ride height, weight, or rake you can understand all the possible complications. Other situations all the way up to designing from scratch are covered.
"The Theory of Wing Sections" by Abbott and Von Doenhoff is a standard reference, but only really useful with a lot of background material.
There's a really handy table in "Bicycling Science" by Whitt and Wilson about energy storage that I refer to frequently. Lots of other information for Velomobiles and Ultra efficiency.
Either Wicks Aircraft Supply or Aircraft Spruce & Specialty have catalogs with the latest lightweight materials suitable for homebuilders, with small quantities and fair prices.
There are cheaper epoxies than WEST, but few as versatile and well supported by instructions for beginners.
I don't have a good reference on the Stitch 'n' Glue method of boatbuilding, but it should be considered by anyone using sheet materials for a tail extension, etc. Usually, by the time the sheeting is on, you discover that you didn't need a frame, just a fastening strip, since the corners of a box are naturally strong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-05-2012), slowmover (09-30-2012)