View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
so if I understand this right, I need to make the front end a half circle (top view) and a smooth under side, and slope the top to match the hood?

Where would the best spot be for an air intake for the radiator?

Where should I make a hole to let the air out of the engine bay?
*In airships or submarines/torpedos,the streamline body's nose has the lowest drag for sub-transonic flow.
*For bluff-body automotive forms a one-half convex-hemisphere would be ideal as from any angle it has the best 115-degree flow separation line.
*On this nose there would be a single point which is the forward stagnation point.This is where the inlet would be located for maximum ram effect.
*Where the air exits will have a lot to do with what's already under the hood.
*Alberto Morelli probably spent the most time in the wind tunnel to scientifically position the engine bay cooling exits for his 1976-78 CNR 'banana' car.This car would be the
benchmark for low drag cooling exits.Hucho shows a number of possible solutions as did Walter Korff.I would hesitate to position them on top of the hood for safety reasons.You could spend a thousand hours in a wind tunnel trying to dial this in.
*The Matrix/Vibe already has VW's 'optimum' nose' as depicted in Hucho's book.
*Where the nose curves back under would be considered a no-no,but could be addressed with a NASCAR type wrap-around airdam to limit air underneath,kicking it out to the sides instead .It might have to be 'active' or flexible to respect the SAE 'approach' angle clearance.
*An airdam which was higher could also be used in conjunction with a Corvette/Trans Am 'bottom-breather' style inlet which would be just ahead of an underbody wrap-around airdam.
*I'll let basjoos speak to the nose on AeroCivic.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Cd (07-06-2012)