View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Seems like most of the arguments against the smart meters are all red herring stuff... the radio waves being harmful (some smart meters do use rf to transmit the data), the ability for thieves to determine if you are home or not based on the insecure data being transmitted (even though there are probably 10 easier ways to tell if you are home or not), the ability to shut your power off because they don't like you, and the 'conspiracy theory' that with smart meters the power companies will figure out ways to charge you more money (why bother with smart meters at all if that were the goal?).

Personally, I like the concept of the smart meter. Without them, the electric grid is still using essentially the same technology as it has for the past ~100 years, basically 'guessing' what the demands will be throughout the day. In order to meet that guessed demand, the power companies have to build capacity that will handle worst case *plus* another xx% (don't recall what the % value is, but I think it is somewhere around 25 - 35%). Any power company that uses renewables such as hydro, solar, wind also has to build in backup in case those aren't generating (due to low rainfall, for example).

Additionally neighborhoods are limited to the amount of power draw they can handle, so if on a typical hot day everyone in the neighborhood is running AC, pool pumps, water heaters, and then electric cars get added to the mix, the power company won't know that's a problem 'til the transformer blows and everyone's out of power until that gets fixed. Guess who gets charged for replacing the transformer...?

I would much rather having a smart meter and an associated 'home energy management system' which work together to control the amount of energy my appliances are using (based on the prices, which are based on demand) than have the power company build yet another "just in case" power plant which I *know* I will have to pay for.

With PG&E, I have to 'opt-in' to any "peak use shutoff" programs, and I do opt in. It is always cycled during the day (never at night, since there is no 'peak use' at night (duh), and never on the weekends) and only once a month at the most and only for 20 minutes at the most. I get notified ahead of time and can choose to not participate if the day isn't good for me (like if I have guests). When it does happen, I don't even notice it.

Actually, the idea of charging higher prices for fuel when driving during peak driving hours is a brilliant idea...! And lower prices during non-peak hours... Or how about if you get below 20mpg you are charged extra; if you get above 40mpg you get a discount... think that might change behavior?

Of course you don't have to opt-in to any of the programs, but then don't whine about the power companies making all this profit since you'll be the one handing them your money for no good reason...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NachtRitter For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (07-07-2012), Ryland (07-08-2012)