View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Civic Lower Grill Smooth Cover Panel

I added this to the Civic in mid June 2012:

Bear in mind that the car already has a full length belly pan, flat wheel covers and a Kamm roof extension. However this project was the quickest and easiest of all of those.

It's made of 2.7 mm. lauan plywood, primed with oil base house paint. Cut with a box cutter. Fastened with #8 stainless sheet metal screws & fender washers. I like stainless for this kind of project; it costs just a few dollars more and won't look ugly after the first couple rainy days.

The panel outline is a curved shape, similar to a front windshield, angled down towards the front instead of up. You have to mark points or guide lines on the panel, then trim away carefully and recheck constantly to get the curves you need. I did enlarge the opening somewhat after taking this photo,and also adjusted the upper line so it appears more level.

This generation Civic has the radiator on passenger side, and the a/c condenser and cat converter/exhaust manifold on the driver's side. Thus the opening where you see it. A ScanGauge lets me keep an eye on temps.

The upper grill cover is good ol' duct tape, the 3M non-marring type. No residue.

The Following User Says Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-07-2012)