View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcivic96 View Post
I apologize as well, my last tank was horrible...
I drive a ton of highway and it's killing my FE, any tips? I get better MPG on city with EOC, which isn't easy on the highway. I am (usually) moving so traffic isn't the issue, it's (holding) 53MPH that's hurting me..
No apologies needed. Each of us is dealing with real world situations. As for a/c, when I need mine, I put it on recirc and "pulse and glide" the a/c. I leave the fan on 1 or maybe 2, and cycle the compressor on and off as needed. Works nicely in moderately hot weather but I haven't tried it lately in super hot weather.

Yes, my HX did better at somewhat slower speeds. I've now done a few aero projects so they combine to give real improvement at higher speeds. See the car's page (Lean Burn Civic) to see the list of mods.

Tire pressure - for me, the sidewall imprint is a starting point. I think that would help highway mpg.

Between the aero mods and well pressurized tires, I find I actually can pulse and glide at highway speeds. You DO need to limit that to times when the cars in front and behind you are far enough away so you don't enter their zone as you lose and gain speed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
blackcivic96 (07-07-2012), reliabletop (07-24-2012)