View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
JohnAh
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Concerning the kammback I have read different figures about how to design it properly but I´ve got the impression that a slope of maximum 20 degrees on each surface is a good start. In some places I have read that the teardrop-shape should continue for at least 3/4 of the length of a full teardrop. At other places I have read that the area of the flat end should not be more than 50% of the maximum projected frontal area of the entire car.

If this is a good route to follow we can easily look at the streets to se that few car manufacturers follow this recipie. I guess this can be explained by avreage people not knowing what difference it can make and that most people still would find such a shape too extreme to feel comfortable with.

If I look at the Volkswagen L1 concept car instead I find it almost perfectly following the recipies of Kamm with a nice diffuser. Since they have obviously tried hard to get a one litre concept car (1l/100km) I guess they couldn´t afford to cheat with the body shape just to make it look cool. What we see is probably the naked truth and that is what I will try to copy!