View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
divedaddy03
EcoModding Lurker

Lightbulb Open Source Hybrid/Hybrid Electric Car Project

Open Source Hybrid/Hybrid Electric Car Project

I live in York, SC and I'm starting the design and brainstorming process of a electric/hybrid electric car.
I'm not coming into this thinking that I know all the right or wrong ways to build, In fact it's quite the opposite.
I'd like to show people that you don't need a huge shop, background in engineering, large skill set, etc...so I'm thinking more of this project as an "open source" type of a project.

I'll be building a 3 wheeled (reverse trike) electric car design from the ground up.
I may include a small engine for electric generation.
I'd like to only use renewable energy (solar, wind, hydro) to charge this vehicle.
- In the case of a hybrid, use renewable fuel sources.

I don't what this to be too complicated as I want the average/advanced DIYer to be able to build this.

Guidelines/Criteria:
Keep total build cost below $10,000.
If full electric, total range of 150+ miles
If hybrid, total range of 400+ miles
Must seat 2+ people
Must not be open like a motorcycle
Must be (relatively) easy to replicate by other DIY'ers

My goal:
Inspire people to be aware of their use of consumable energy.
Encourage others to be creative and think outside the box.
Show people that they don't need to have lots of money to do something great.
Teach others how they can build the same type of vehicle for minimal dollars.
Provide FREE build plans to DIY'ers in the end.

Some IDEAS:
Why not build a set of plans (ie. the Vortex, XR3, or many others) that use parts that can be easily replicated by a DIY'er utilizing a common (in the scrap yard) front end and, easy to be found parts for the rest of the car (this is something I've been considering and will potentially need some direction in).
Why not build a community and provide continuous improvement on this topic (giving away all project updates FREE).
Why not apply the Wikipedia business model to this challenge?
Why not give small machine shops around the world the ability to create and build parts that DIY'ers can purchase for their builds.
Why not put money back in OUR pockets while helping each other with this venture?
Why pay $25,000 for a poorly performing vehicle from a major auto manufacture when we can build it to outperform for half the cost?

If you're interested in helping with the design, build, fabrication, promotion, etc...in any way, I'm all ears....PM me.
If an "open source" project of this type already exists that I'm unaware of, I'd love to know.
Many hands make light work.

I'm not sure I've articulated my thoughts and Ideas well, if not....please ask and I will fill in.

Thanks In Advance,

Wayne
SC

Your mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.