View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #446 (permalink)
2006Corvette
EcoModding Lurker

After utilizing some of these hypermiling driving techniques I was able to achieve 41.25 mpg with my stock 97' Mirage coupe. (only mods are exhaust and upgraded to alloy rims) Some city driving and idling was involved. Sometimes with a passenger. The A/C was on the entire time, windows always rolled up.

I did a minor tune up so I'm hoping to get even more MPG next time. Just last night I replaced the spark plugs with NGK plugs(old plugs were completely worn out), replaced the dirty engine air filter, replaced clutch fluid, replaced fuel filter and replaced clutch fluid. I also changed my oil from 15w40 to 10w40. (originally the car had 20w50 when I bought from previous owner. =/

I'm thinking this car is capable of getting 45mpg+ if I do a lower bumper block/fog light block and also turn A/C off along with this minor tune up I just did. We'll see.

I currently have 13" light alloy rims with 175 70 13 tires mounted. (this is the factory tire size even though I have aftermarket light alloy rims, I hate steel rims) Car has cheapo (but like new) douglas tires on front, and worn down rear tires with wire showing. Surprisingly it does very well in the rain, I think it has to do with the skinny tires being able to dig into the pavement better in the rain than a tire with a wider contact patch (like say a Corvette with similarly worn tires). I'm thinking about buying two michelin defenders. Rotate the douglas to the rear and put the michelins in the front. Or I may buy some used cheap tires with decent life from craigslist. I'm not sure... With this car the name of the game is saving money.

Last edited by 2006Corvette; 07-14-2012 at 12:41 PM..