View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Sorry, I'm not the best person to ask

But I have some thoughts too. Especially that I have a 'too strong' engine built in Teresa (I guess 98% of Hungarian bikers would say it's weak, lol ).

I think it really could be improved by lowering rpms, it is really unusable (gives a pinging noise) under 2500rpm, which is quite a revving for a car engine. I suspect that with thorough engineering (or, maybe a simple power commander would do, if they missed this point in the design) it could be possible to go lower, even with a single cylinder, but I'm eager to invest with unknown results.

But as I'm stuck at/over 2000-2800rpm (depends on the used gear), I don't see the point in making taller gears in my particular case. 5th is already unusable under 70km/h (~45mph).

(My workaround for this very problem is Pulse&Glide, which I often do)

Anyway, Teresa doesn't really have high power per liter ratio (50hp for 652cc), and the redline is at 7000 (or 7500, I'm still not sure, and I won't test it extensively ), very similar to a small gasoline car Compression ratio is 11.5:1, no complaining here

Anyway, it would be nice to change something, my girlfriend will have the front sprocket changed on her Hyosung GV250, so I'm potentially losing

Aero modding is another interesting thing, and it's another field where I'm reluctant to tread, just because of aesthetic/convenience factors. I know that sitting upright in the wind is a big no, but I'd hate to lean on the 'tank' for long, and I'd hate to drive a semi-closed box which used to be an honest motorcycle one day Heck, I'm not even willing to mess with the unique F650CS design

No, I'm not a good modder, I guess