View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #53 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Looks like that was a good day.

I have a moan and groan report. Sorry, but I feel a need to vent.

I spent this past weekend addressing some maintenance issues. Unfortunately, not all are fully resolved. Replaced the Civic's sway bar links and their bushings. The car still squeaks and groans as it moves over the road, so I suspect ball joints or???

Removed two damaged front wheel covers in the process of doing the sway bar links,I haven't decided yet how I'll deal with those. Replaced 5 psi of air lost from the front tires. Replaced 4 rivets lost from the belly pan. Changed the oil.

Lean Burn Civic has some kind of issue with the accessory belts - I think the shop made them too tight, or some pulley bearings have gone south.

Today, went out with some friends driving along side in their pickup, shot some tuft test videos of the Civic's Kamm roof extension. This was my first effort at a tuft test video. Hooo-boy. I think I'm gonna do a writeup of how NOT to shoot a tuft test video. It definitely is not as easy as it looks in the videos I've seen posted here occasionally. Short version: Ours were shot mostly into the sun, which makes it harder to see the detail. That was my fault; I requested that travel direction due to trying to avoid a crosswind.

Also I'd recommend a camera with good zoom capability, preferably optical zoom capability. The videos we got don't show enough close detail of the tufts. What you can see looks pretty good, but I haven't yet found a good shot of the top panel, only of the left side panel. Those side panel tufts look pretty good, I have to say.