View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
divedaddy03
EcoModding Lurker

Smile

Ryland,

Bravo on the Hot Rod/Kit Car comment.

I think that we also need to think about a bigger global picture though too.
I want this project to provide something to the global community that hasn't been done before...in other words, lets make an EV/Hybrid that can be replicated in many different countries, not just NA if you will. With that in mind, what "donor" car can be found in most countries...?

The VW Beatle is what comes to mind for me anyway, it's an easy front end and mid platform to build off of, they are readily available in almost any part of the world, BUT............the front suspension is heavy, and leaves much to be desired in the performance area.

Separate drive trains? How would that work out on the efficiency scale?

Wayne
SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
In many states you can register your car as a hot rod or kit car by basing it off a vehicle that is over 20 years old (1992) so an early metro XFI that is rusting out would be perfect! or a regular metro and put the xfi cam shaft in there.
When building a kit car one thing to aim for is basing it off a common car that has issues, like rust! then you use the good parts like doors, dash, suspension and build your car around that.
Honda Civics are another car to look at, a 1992 honda civic sedan or coup is going to sell for a low price if the wheel wheels are rusted out and Civic VX engines bolt in giving you an engine that gets great mileage then either bolt the electric motor in where the AC compressor would bolt on or have the electric motor drive the rear wheels using the drive train from a rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Basing your vehicle off as many stock off the shelf parts and stock junk yard parts as possible is going to make your job easier.

Your mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.