View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by divedaddy03 View Post
I think that we also need to think about a bigger global picture though too.
I want this project to provide something to the global community that hasn't been done before...in other words, lets make an EV/Hybrid that can be replicated in many different countries, not just NA if you will. With that in mind, what "donor" car can be found in most countries...?

The VW Beatle is what comes to mind for me anyway, it's an easy front end and mid platform to build off of, they are readily available in almost any part of the world,
Best Selling Cars Around The Globe: The 100 Models That Sell The Most Worldwide In Q1 2012 | The Truth About Cars

The VW beetle hasn't been sold in the USA for nearly 30 years, but they did make 21,500,000 of them, the Honda Civic comes in close at 16,500,000 of them made and they are still making them, of course the design has changed a bit the basics of their design has stayed pretty much the same with a lot of parts that can be swapped from generation to generation.
Toyota Corolla is the current world wide top seller and they have built a total of 36,000,000 of them, so there are a lot out there, but they don't have as many engine options as Honda and their gas mileage doesn't tend to be as good.