View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
It was short, and yes they do have some additional material online on the page I linked to. I met a few of these students, and spoke with a few of the teachers. They worked very hard and they were having a blast there at the Michigan Speedway.
I looked at some of the added video when I finished the film, but I was still left hoping for something meatier. I just looked again now, at the "where-are-they-now" teacher piece, and found a link to his charter school project, the "Sustainability Workshop." The column and the two videos, especially the shorter one on top, are exactly the kind of thing I had hoped would be included more into the film itself. I'll be able to use this easily. What he is saying with verve and reasonability is well-known in education circles, though most of the political structure and some of the teacherate won't or can't accept.

[EDIT: I noticed something about their "mainstream" competition car. They were knocked-out in the semi-final because they needed to hit 67mpg and only reached 65.1 mpg. But the Ford Focus body had no aeromods. An airdam, grillblock, wheel skirts, and side skirts were not permissible? Tires pumped high? With those and maybe a passenger side mirror delete they should have been able to gain the needed 1.9 mpg easily, and therefore stayed into the final round, by which time they might have worked out the technical problems they discovered with their charging system.]

Thanks again!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 07-19-2012 at 12:51 PM..