View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #425 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I'm not going to go back and re-read several pages to see if anyone asked , but ....
is there any way you can insure your work ?
Have you taken any molds of the tail in case some knucklehead smashes into you ?
And with a mold, I can see others being interested in some sort of DIY kit for Insight owners.
( I know I would be interested if I had an Insight .)
No I have not made any molds of the body work. Sorry.

Actually I learned more about foam/fiberglass/water based products such as water based spackling.

The tail started the summer very smooth in finish but not yet painted red to match the car. Well after painting red, we had some very hot June days, and I'll bet the surface temperature of the red paint was close to 150°F or so, and that heat reacted with the spackling, and caused some "puffing" in spots.

Now because of this, to make high quality molds, the entire surface would have to be pain-stakingly sanded and smoothed over the span of the summer.

Well this won't happen this summer as my wife and I just finished putting a sheet metal roof on the house, and we still have some bathroom work to do, so guess what takes the back seat?

I would also like to put a trickle charge plug under the tail to make it easier to charge at night, and this will hopefully happen this fall sometime.

Anyway, the simple answer is no, there are no immediate plans to make molds at this point.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 07-20-2012 at 01:55 PM..