View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #426 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
Hey, you mentioned me, cool. It was great to meet you at the Stevens Point MREA energy expo. I asked all the question that I wanted to ask but am still curious about the 'maximum sustainable lean-burn speed'. It's perplexing to me that you haven't tested this but I don't blame you as you do have your goals. I keep remembering back to my trip that I took from Rapid City, SD to where I live nearby Minneapolis, MN. 630 miles and got 73mpg holding lean-burn the entire time at the maximum speed that lean-burn allowed which on the flat was around 70mph and any uphill it went down but downhills I could get the maximum speed to hit the PSL of 75mph in SD with the ability to exceed the PSL but of course I don't exceed the speed limit as there are 'enforcers' who probably patrol the web. I had another driver drive the car and LB runs in 5th gear up to 78mph before the RPM is too high and it kicks out at any TPS and LOD value on my scanguage so that's the top speed that I'd ever drive if I drove in TX with the highest speed limits in the nation that exceed the 78mph point. Either way I'll remain curious and hope that you test higher speeds, if not just the interstate PSL in WI for what MPG you'd get. ...anyway do what you wish but I drive cross country and the curiosity tortures this cat.
Well we know that the tail offers about 18% better aero at 56 mph, as tested two years ago (or was it three?) when the tail was first put on the car.

I typically do not drive at any speed close to 55 mph on the way to work, so I can not answer that question directly.

However, I can say that on the way to Stevens Point, I did get 105 mpg on the way there and 97 mpg on the way back, and this is with no under body panels at all during that time.

The panels were off because I had to get a wheel alignment and the garage wanted everything off. Plus, upon removing the panels after two years, there were several very rusted fasteners that simply broke off when removing the panels. I spent several days trying to work out and/or drill out the fasteners to make room for new ones.

As you know, the temperature that day was probably 90°F or so, maybe hotter, and that really helps the mileage.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 07-20-2012 at 01:57 PM..