View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #269 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
I have some sad news.

July 6th while at work, my Ninja was backed into by one of my coworkers and knocked over onto the kickstand (left) side. The left side of my bike has some significant damage now.

With close to 30,000 miles on the bike, and considering its 10 years old, my insurance company isn't offering me all that much for the bike as a total loss settlement.

I'm kind of on the fence with what i should do. I have 2 options.

Option 1: Accept their total loss settlement and they take the bike. I move on and try to find another bike.

Option 2: They'll give me 30% less than the total loss settlement, I get to keep the bike, but the bike will now have a salvage title. In order to make the bike road legal again, I have to document that i fixed the bike and pay (100$) to have it inspected.

So, what needs to be fixed?

-Front fairing has 2 cracks in it and a couple scuffs (one is major). Could probably be repaired. (this is going to be the $$$$ killer).
-Front fairing stay is broken, needs to be replaced
-Front fender has a scuff on the left side.
-Left front blinker is broken, needs to be replaced
-Dent in gas tank (left handlebar went into it). Just a dent, the paint is still intact. I could live with it i guess.
-Handlebars are tweaked, but that's a pretty easy fix as long as the fork tubes aren't bent (just loosen the triple clamps and realign).
-Left foot peg snapped in half, needs to be replaced
-The shifter is bent, could probably bend back, but might as well replace
-Left muffler dented and bent, could probably bend it back and use it, but would like to replace.

Just unsure of what i want to do.

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today