View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Voltdriver
EcoModding Lurker

Thats where you are going wrong. The Volt is not a Chevy Cruze. The top 4 traded cars for the Volt are the Prius (24k+), Camry (24k+), Honda Civic Hybrid (26k+) and BMW 3 series (35k+). Why would you be comparing the Volt to a Cruze? Because it is the same platform? There are plenty of shared platforms across a wide array of manufacturers, with wild price differences. Lexus has shared the same platform as Toyota. Audi has shared the same platform as VW. So why do you think Volt owners consider a gas guzzling, low optioned car, like a Cruze as a subsitute?

I came from BMW. I would never consider a Cruze. The Cruze Eco doesnt even have 4 wheel disc brakes for pete's sake. Not to mention, if you look at the cheapest Cruze, as you have mentioned, it is barebones. Even the base Volt is a very optioned car, having standard features that are not even options on a Cruze.

And also, the Volt, after tax credits, is 32,500. I already know people getting them for under 30k after the tax credit. So, in actual numbers, you need to start a lot lower.

The car is already cheaper to own and operate than my 2011 Mini Cooper, and is way cheaper than my BMW. My wife's 2012 Honda CRV cost us about $200 more a month to own after you consider the payment and gas she is spending, which is amazing since the Volt I purchased had a sticker of 45k.

In my situation, the Volt payback period is 0 month. It is already cheaper for me to pay for and operate this car than the previous 2 cars I owned, and the Mini Cooper being a 25k car, that is saying something.

Financial logic, in any sense, is silly on a car. Try figuring out the payback period of a luxury car over a used Civic. People buy cars for reasons well beyond simply financial reasons. A person that is motivated to buy an electric car is NOT, as a general rule, going to even look at a Cruze. If you want to compare it to something, you have to look at cars that aiming at the same goal. A Cruze, at 30 MPG, wouldnt even turn the head of a Prius owner, let alone a Volt owner.

Last edited by Voltdriver; 07-26-2012 at 03:04 PM..