View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Grant-53
Master EcoModder

We call it 'value management'. Each week for forty years I say to myself "I would like to own a motorcycle," and every week I say "What on earth for?" I need a vehicle I can use in the snow 5 months out of the year. Maybe a streamlined motorcyle with knobby tires might work. For the next five years I have to drive my twins around. But back to the main discussion.
Past Vetter Challenge winners have been single cylinder water cooled engines. Ducting at speed and at a stop means taking cool air from a high pressure area, moving it toward the cooling fins, and into a low pressure area without making sharp bends or cooking the rider.
There are trade offs in both the inline and V twin configuration. The inline engine has each cylinder receiving cool air but the width reduces the distance between the cylinder and the rider's legs available for duct work. With narrow ducting, a single 12 inch fan for the whole engine may not work. Consider a number of small fans, such those in a computer power supply, working in parallel. Some could be switched on or off depending on engine temperature and speed. Another possible cooling device is a water injection nozzle spraying mist onto the cooling fins. We often would cool an overheated car engine by pouring water over the outside of the radiator to avoid being scalded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
woodsrat (07-29-2012)