View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

My XT-225 doesn't like the extremely high temperatures we've been experiencing. With temps in the 90-100 degree range after a few seconds of idling it will begin to run rough and die. I believe it's the gas in the float bowl being overheated and coming up into the intake tract. Runs fine in cooler temps, though. A reduction in the fuel level via a float adjustment might fix the problem--or the floats themselves might be getting gasolilne soaked or leaking (can't remember if they're composite or brass). This is a problem on the composite Del'Orto floats on my Gas-Gas and the fix is to just periodically replace 'em.

In super hot weather the oil in the backbone of the frame and engine heat work together to make the gasoline boil in the plastic tank on my XR-650L. You can come to a stop, shut down the engine and hear it bubbling. I'm going to try some insulation on the underside that Earl's Performance sells. Since there's no recirculation system to catch the fumes that's just MPG going up into the air.

Maybe a relocation of the gasoline tank on a 'liner might be something to consider if this was an issue. I saw a GSXR 750 with a very sano heat shield around the carburetors, too. This might not be a bad idea, either if problems like I'm experiencing on the XT continue and float corrections don't improve it.