View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
lagom= right tool for the job, not to big or small, just right?
Sure, enough is as good as a feast and so forth. It's a general concept of understanding that extremes are rarely optimal (though it's fine, too, when they are)

As it applies to our behavior in the culture of America there seem far too many people unwilling to put air in their tires or take some of the random objects in their trunk out to save a little fuel, simple acts that won't half your consumption but certainly are worth it. It applies when nobody wants to buy, sell or develop a product that offers only a modest improvement.

Who in America would buy Just Nacho Enough brand chips when they're sitting right next to EXTREEEEEM NACHO MAYHEM FLAMETHROWER CHEESEPLOSION! chips?

We also tend to have a strange relationship between esteem and utility - cars in particular are cool in inverse proportion to how good an idea it is to own one. Pinnacles of this include the aeromodded minivan nobody wanted and the iconically cool supercars of the world which are nearly impossible to live with. Nobody wants a small car unless it's also quick, and it seems few manufacturers have any interest in trying to sell a car here that doesn't look aggressive or surround us in a drab, 80's concept of high tech with black and silver and maybe a stripe of wood...

I guess there are a lot of reasons people aren't interested. Fuggum. I know I had a good time driving around on empty streets when Phoenix had a fuel delivery interruption in 2003 - I had long since been tinkering with my transportation and wasn't about to let petroleum's scarcity stop me from going about my business.

Last edited by shovel; 07-31-2012 at 05:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to shovel For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (07-31-2012)