View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
ksa8907
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I saw a 4% drop in mpg in my '96 Subaru Legacy when Oregon mandated E10. If I lived in a place that allowed the consumer freedom to choose what to run, I would only choose E10 if it were at least 5% cheaper than E0; about 17 cents cheaper with current fuel prices.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always hear that corn-based ethanol is government subsidized. If this is true, then we aren't directly seeing the cost of E blended fuel.

We need to remove subsidies for both petroleum and ethanol and allow the market to do what it does best; balance supply, demand, and cost.

With as many shortcomings as it has, petroleum prices are at least drought-immune. I spoke with a few farmers in CO recently, and they say if the mountains don't get a good snow pack, there won't be enough water for corn next year.
unless they extended it, the subsidy expired the 31st of last year but the mandate remains.

here in indiana, there are whole fields of corn that were dying as early as last month, ears are severely underdeveloped. beans aren't any better.