View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
turbovr41991
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
If I do it, should I replace the injector o-rings? Do I need to lube o-rings before installing, and with what? And exactly how do you get the fuel rail and injectors off? Removing screws is no problem, but what do you pull on to get things apart and do you have to pull straight up to avoid damage?
Only two 10 mm nuts hold on the fuel rail. I also took off one side of the vacuum lines in the area to free up the fuel rail. The throttle cable mount was also somewhat into he way so I unhooked that and pushed it aside a few inches. The injectors will pop out quite easily. Try your best to leave them in the fuel rail and only pull them out of the intake manifold. No fuel i wsted this way! Also, you can move the fuel rail with injectors somewhat out of the way (will not move too far if you leave them plugged in as I did. (should be able to see them suspended in my picture up there.)

Mine was clogged both in the recirculation plate and on the intake manifold. I used an pick, small screwdriver and a wire brush to clean everything out. I also had a shop vac running to try to suck up as much of the carbon from the intake manifold (mainly to protect the open fuel injector holes.)

I did not replace the injector O rings. I just wiped them down (carefully to avoid soiling the injector tip.)

I found this really good write up. Initially I was just going to replace the EGR and then after I found out about these small passages blocking I hat to try this first. Amazing fix!

Lots of write up instructions on the topic (some are for accords, other model civics, etc, but still similar.) The best one I found was Fixing EGR blockage leading to DTCs P0401 and P1491

A couple pictures from the link:

This "dirty" one looks perfect compaired to what mine was like. Mine had carbo completely blocking the passages to the 4 cylinders.

Last edited by turbovr41991; 08-05-2012 at 08:53 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to turbovr41991 For This Useful Post:
SpeedyCorky (10-17-2012)