View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
rickjames8
EcoModding Lurker

Civic VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
On the other side of the pond....

Hello all,

I have been a lurker on this forum for a while. I've recently relocated to France and found some interesting things I thought I'd share.

First off, the vast majority of cars here get much better MPG than they do in the US. I picked up a 2000 VW Polo 1.4TDi (3 cylinder) for $2000 which seems to get about 55mpg with no mods and average driving style (not agressive, but not hypermiling). The turbo makes it easy to enter/exit the freeway and pass. Why is this engine not sold in the US???

Oddly, diesel is cheaper than gas. Gas runs about $7.50/gal and diesel about $6.50/gal. The diesel cars get much better MPG, so its a wonder they sell any gas cars at all.

They also have microcars known as "Voiture Sans Permis". Google it to check them out. Aixam is one of the bigger manufacturers here. These little 500cc cars are limited to 30mph and get between 70-90 mpg. They can be driven with no licence whatsoever (this law makes no sense to me) anywhere but the highway. Unfortunately they have a stigma attached to them that they are not real cars and just little toys for people with suspended licences.

Yessir, the other side of the pond is an ecomodders heaven.

-Rick