Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Megdriver024
EcoModding Lurker

Hi,
I'm Emil from serbia, i have a renault megane 1.6, it wasn't really throaty in the first place but I red a lot about mods on autospeed (what led me here at the end) so i started a few simple ones..

I changed the intake system from the throttle body because the engine was designed as 1.4 originally then renault just stroked it when they needed a 1.6..
So the filter size and ducting was simply small. I sourced some bigger diameter rubber tubing from various gm models and a filter+box from an old mazda 2.0 diesel. The engine has a map sensor so the ecu was not aware of more air coming in.. I changed the resistance at the air intake temp sensor and the map sensor so I have now more advanced ignition and more or less corect fueling..
Before when travelling on a regional road near my home town the comp was showing 6.0-6.1 l/100km at 100km/h. The filter change in it self did not do much but enabled me to get away with more advance so now i got 5.5-5.6l/100km repeatedly on the same road with the same speed.

I added a partial block to the grille and made a belly pan and some small flaps in front of the front tires. But i also fitted bigger diameter tires there wich isn't good for econ.So i guess these cancelled each other.. We use the car mostly on open roads traveling at speed and since the Megane is so nose heavy( as all FWD cars) emergency stopping on the old skinny tires took forever with the ABS working hard..

As I said the car is mostly for cruising so I did not want to delete the aircon,
when at constant speed it "eats" 0.1-0.2l/100km, and my wife wouldnt accept that little gain for the sweating.. I realized that the real issue was when I have to accelerate, it chains the engine down, and this is accentuated by the ECU so owertaking performance or climbing hills and consuption was simply poor.. I wanted to cheat the ECU thinking the AC was off so atleast it would give better fuel maps and advance.. But the AC operation is part of the ECU.. No luck.. then i got the idea. I used a pressure switch from an old toyota to operate a relay wich turns the AC off every time the vacuum in the manifold falls..

The simplest mod I made was a spring loading my throtle pedal.. I realized that on our bumpy roads i can't hold it steady and watching the consuption I saw the ECU correcting for my every move..

Anyways great site and happy to read all the nice stuff..