View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Question, If you are worried about running a cooling fan to save fuel, why are you then running the air conditioning?

I barely see any difference when running an electric load but when I turn on the AC, I get anywhere from 2 mpg in my Econoline to 5mpg in my minivan.

Be careful cutting off your cooling fan with your ac condenser on. The money you save in gas may be going to buy you a new engine or transmission. Just saying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnpsi View Post
I like all the approaches as a whole, and each one may work better for some vehicles and not others. You don't want your oem cooling fans turning on earlier or staying on longer than they do without a new grill shutter mod. The e-fans eat mpg on their own. I always wanted to just shut off the seconday fan for my a/c once i was rolling 30mph or better, especially if its really hot the regular fan may be on too anyway and pulling air thru the condenser already

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787