View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder.
And to this end of the Pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
I've recently relocated to France
Quote:
I picked up a 2000 VW Polo 1.4TDi (3 cylinder)
Great li'l engine.
Responds well to hypermiling, and will accept running at very low rpm.

I've had my sister's Skoda Fabia with the same engine @ under 4L/100km (> 59 mpg) even without really hypermiling it (i.e. no coasting etc )
It'll do 100mpg @ 70 kph on CC ...

Quote:
Why is this engine not sold in the US???
"No market for it", and more profit on the bigger European cars that usually are sold at a premium in the US.
Emissions in certain states that won't allow diesels in cars.

Quote:
Oddly, diesel is cheaper than gas.
Not in all of Europe though.
Usually, it's more expensive.
Taxes on diesel are rising to bring it more in line with petrol, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Quote:
The diesel cars get much better MPG, so its a wonder they sell any gas cars at all.
Diesels are more expensive, both to buy and maintain.
With a particulate filter on more recent diesels, only driving around town isn't recommended.

Quote:
They also have microcars known as "Voiture Sans Permis".
They are a bit of a misnomer though.

At least in Belgium you do need a permit (for a moped, A3), unless you're born in the early 1960s - AFAIK, it's similar in France due to EU regulations.

Quote:
Unfortunately they have a stigma attached to them that they are not real cars and just little toys for people with suspended licences.
Err ... if France is anything like Belgium - and being all to closely tied, it likely is - you can't drive these things on a suspended license, as the suspension is for all motor vehicles.
(It's the right to drive a motor vehicle that is revoked.)

What does happen is that they are driven without a license by 50+ yo people, and folks who have had their license cancelled, but don't want to redo the exams to regain their car license.

Quote:
Yessir, the other side of the pond is an ecomodders heaven.
You can get the more economical cars here, but you can't mod them as easily as in the US

Last edited by euromodder; 08-09-2012 at 01:25 PM..